The original settler of
35 Concession A, was
Thomas Rutherford. He was born in the village of
in Scotland, near the town of Jedburgh, in 1812. His father was
, gardener and
for Sir William Scott the owner of the Ancrum estate.
Before he left Scotland in 1834 at the age of 22, he had worked for the Earl of Minto on the
four miles up the Teviot River Valley from Ancrum.
In 1834 he came to
Ontario, with John Telfer who was recruiting settlers in the
William Dickson who owned most of the land in the Galt area at that time. Thomas
also came out with his Uncle Hugh Rutherford and his family, among whom was
Elizabeth, afterwards wife of Robert Elliot the original settler on Lot 38
Concession B, on the Lake Shore Line ( the Don Cianci farm ).
For the next six years he
was in the butchering trade while in Galt, but his first job on arriving in Galt
was burying the dead of the cholera epidemic that was sweeping that part of
Ontario in 1834.
In 1840 he was hired by John Telfer to
help him in his endeavours as Land Agent in opening up the land to settlement in
the village of Sydenham (
Owen Sound ).
In the winter of 1840-41,
Telfer went back to Galt and left Thomas in charge of the government stores by
From 1842 to 1845, he ran a
hotel in Owen Sound near the market square on the land now occupied by Legates
In 1845 both he and John
Telfer came out to what is now
; Telfer to take up 425 acres on part of
which Leith now stands, and to build the local
grist mill on what is now Telfers
Thomas took up Lot 35 Concession A, paying
45 pounds for it, and got his deed on the ninth of January , 1846, in the
Township of Sydenham, in the County of Waterloo, in the District of Wellington,
as this area was known at this time. He had made the long trip to Galt in the
middle of winter to get his deed with William Sibbald, the original settler on
Lot 36 Concession A, his immediate neighbour.
On March 1, 1844, he
married Catherine MacGregor whose family had come out from
on Loch Tay in Perthshire, Scotland, in 1841. They were the original settlers on the north
half of Lot 7 Concession 12 Sydenham, and this farm is still owned by a member
of this family in the person of Jack MacGregor.